Monday, March 26, 2012

Like sands through the hourglass....

“….so are the days of our lives.” Never before has this line from my favorite soap opera seemed as appropriate to my life as it has this past year.  I started the year wishing every day to pass quickly, but soon realized that type of mindset wasn’t going to work. So, I tried to fill our days with fun activities and things to look forward to. Thankfully we live close to a lot of family and the boys travel well because we took a lot of road trips back home and to see friends. But even with all the trips and play dates our typical day–to-day was probably my biggest challenge. So, here are a few things I learned this year.

-          Things are going to go wrong. The kids will get sick, the builder will take an additional three months to finish your house, you will be housebound because your uphill driveway is covered in ice, your pipes will freeze etc. You can cry about it, get mad, scream, (all of which I have done at one point) or you can just deal with it, which I really tried to do.

-          I CAN do all the chores Andrew does, but I don’t want to. So, I hired someone to mow the lawn and plow the driveway and any chance I got, I had someone else take the garbage to the road!

-          The dishes can be washed in the morning.

-          I am horrible at keeping the car clean, getting it washed, changing the oil etc.  Basically anything besides driving it or filling it with gas.

-          My boys look to me to see how bad a situation really is, so it is up to me to react appropriately.

-          It’s okay to let the kids go to their Grandparents’ for the weekend because I need a break.

-          And most importantly, it’s okay to say I need a break

After 357 days Andrew is now back home and finally living in our new house! Our family has had a return to normalcy, and the boys are loving all the adventures and “projects” that daddy comes up with.  

Daddy's home!
The boys are helping daddy build a rock wall

Daddy is so much better at rough housing than mommy!

Drew is our personal photographer

They love having daddy home!

No comments:

Post a Comment